[Gluster-devel] gluster, gfs, ocfs2, and lustre (lustre.org)

Brandon Lamb brandonlamb at gmail.com
Fri May 2 17:16:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:08 AM,  <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 May 2008, Brandon Lamb wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> are

> > > Tought question as it depends on what you are needing. Myself I have
> > > messed around with 3 of those for the last 2 years, so far I am still
> > > just using an 2 NFS servers, one for mail and one for web for my 14 or
> > > so client machines until I figure out how to use glusterfs.
> > >
> > > I tried gfs (redhat) and I dont remember if I even ever got it to
> > > actually run, I was trying it out on fedora distros. It seemed very
> > > over complicated and not very user friendly (just my experience).
> > >

> The key to your problems is in Fedora. It _REALLY_ isn't fit for anything
> more than a hobbyist home setup. It is the alphaware versin of RHEL. For
> example, FC{7,8} ships only with GFS2 which is not yet stable, and nobody
> claims it to be. RHEL5 comes with GFS1 and GFS2, GSF2 being there just as a
> tech preview but not for use in production systems.
>
> RHCS has a somewhat steep learning curve, but it's not one that can't be
> overcome in half a day with assistance from the mailing list. Once you
> figure out what you're doing it's pretty straightforward, and I've deployed
> quite a few clusters based on it for various clients.
>

> > > OCFS2 seemed very clean and I was able to use with with ISCSI but man
> > > the load on my server was running at 7 and it was on the slow side.
> > > What I was trying to do with it was create a single drive to put my
> > > maildir data onto (millions of small mail files). The way it worked
> > > was you actually mounted the file system like it was a local file
> > > system on all machines that needed it and the cluster part would
> > > handle the locking or whatnot. Cool concept but overkill for what I
> > > needed.
> > >

> ANY shared storage FS will suffer major performance penalties for this. File
> write requires a directory lock. If you start getting contention (e.g.
> shared imap folders), the performance will go through the floor because
> you're dealing with distributed lock management overhead and network
> latencies on top of normal disk latencies. Having said that, most POSIX
> locking supporting cluster FS-es will suffer from this issue, some more than
> others.
>

> > > Also I believe both GFS and OCFS2 are these "specialized" file
> > > systems. What happens if it breaks or goes down? How do you access
> > > your data? Well if gfs or ocfs2 is broken you cant.
> > >

> That's a bit like saying that if ext3 breaks, you can't access your data.
> The only specilist thing about them is that they are designed for shared
> storage, i.e. SAN or DRBD replicated volume.
>

> > > With glusterfs,
> > > you have direct access to your underlying data. So you can have your
> > > big raid mounted on a server and use XFS file system, glusterfs just
> > > sits on top of this so if for some reason you break your glusterfs
> [...]

You know I really dont disagree with most of this to be honest, I
guess it is also a little unfair to compare the code from 2-3 (time
flies, maybe it was longer than that) years ago. I really dont know
how easy it is to set up gfs or ocfs2 today, but when I was doing it,
it was not that friendly.

Now as far as what distros are suitable for what, ehhhh. Ive
successfully run fedora on all of our systems for the past 5+ years
with no problems. But that is beyond the scope of this list I suppose

=P

Ok so maybe it was premature of me to reply back, HOWEVER, those
*were* my experiences in using the other file systems in needing a NAS
solution. Which is where my it depends on what you need statement came
from.