[Gluster-devel] New wiki page for 2 server afr, client side afr

Daniel Maher dma+gluster at witbe.net
Fri May 2 10:04:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, 1 May 2008 14:47:39 -0700 "Brandon Lamb"
<brandonlamb at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Setting_up_AFR_on_two_servers_with_client_side_replication
>
> Look over and make sure it is kosher?
>
> I added a section at the bottom for "gotchas", can you take a quick
> look to make sure they are accurate statements.

From the wiki page :

"As you can see the cluster came back. During the time that server2 is
down, the file system does not seem to be available. This does not bode
well when we need or want to be able to down one of the data servers
for whatever reason. Hence client side AFR is recommended over server
side."

IMHO, the conclusion that you've drawn here is somewhat misleading.  By
using RRDNS to allocate a single hostname to all (both) nodes in the
AFR server cluster, the problem you're describing can be avoided
entirely.

While i realise that your wiki articles are meant to be as simple as
possible (and, therefore, a discussion of RRDNS is out of scope), it
would be remiss to not (at least) link to further information on the
subject.

--
Daniel Maher <dma AT witbe.net>