[Gluster-devel] Why I would rather have server side AFR

Brandon Lamb brandonlamb at gmail.com
Fri May 2 02:12:18 UTC 2008

Faster interconnect hardware costs lots of $$$. Wouldnt there be less
servers in most cases, meaning less hardware to buy?

I just took a look at infiniband hardware, its expensive. If I wanted
to upgrade my network, I would much rather upgrade my server machines
at 2-4 computer instead of 10 mail servers, 4 web servers AND 2-4
server machines.

Although you still have that problem of server2 going down and having
a client connected to it directly. But I guess couldnt you use LVS or
something to failover to the other servers that are up?

What other cons are there to server side afr am I missing (other than
the whole cluster doesnt work if one server goes down)?

If using server side afr, and a client does a write, is this faster
when it only has to send the write to one server, or does it still
have to wait for the server to replicate to the other servers and
reply back that the write was successful on all servers? That might be
worded strangely...