[Gluster-devel] Best practices question

Amar S. Tumballi amar at zresearch.com
Fri May 2 00:42:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb at gmail.com> wrote:

> From wiki:
> If '/mnt/sda1' is your export disk, it is nice if you export
> '/mnt/sda1/export/' through glusterfs, instead of exporting /mnt/sda1
> itself
>
> Question:
> Why?

I had put that thinking of the manageability  issues.  That way, you can
have multiple directories from the same disk exported.
I had faced issues at a customer place when I had to change some settings
(it was a stripe volume).  Later I had to put a unify+stripe using switch
scheduler there, and I had to move the whole of /mnt/sda1/* to
/mnt/sda1/old/ and then i  had to create new export directories. Hence the
advice.

Regards,

--
Amar Tumballi