[Gluster-devel] Client side afr versus server side, doing a self-heal

Christopher Hawkins chawkins at veracitynetworks.com
Thu May 1 18:01:23 UTC 2008

I think a little documentation there would be fantastic. I am also starting
with a full set of files that cannot be easily copied (a shared root... It
kind of has to be there already, by definition!).

Personally I was in the dark about all this until recent threads started
shedding a little light on how versioning worked, and didn't even have my
filesystem mounted with extended attributes enabled. Centos by default does
not use them if you don't enable SE Linux and I had to go into fstab and
change my root filesystem like so:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults,user_xattr

And then remount it. I'm thinking about writing some scripts that will check
for files that have gluster attributes and files that don't, and that will
take some options for how to make everything right. Let's keep this thread
going until we all understand the best way(s) to handle pre-existing data
and then I'll post up whatever automation I can cobble together.

Any other gotchas with pre-existing data? Gordan, you said you thought it
was too dangerous and opted against it. What kind of safeguards do you think
would make this safer?

Chris