[Gluster-devel] Re: Setting up a new AFR, but using one preexisting directory

Brandon Lamb brandonlamb at gmail.com
Thu May 1 08:08:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Automatic_File_Replication_%28Mirror%29_across_Two_Storage_Servers
> > >
> > > Maybe this page could be worked up a little more with some information on this?
> > >
> > > I apologize for not knowing, Im not sure who all does the examples or
> > > if its one person or what. Could the person(s) in charge of the
> > > examples or maybe just this one add more to this though?
> > >
> > > It may seem redundant to those that are comfortable configuring the
> > > bricks, but myself, I dont fully understand what should go where, what
> > > order. I understand this is a hard question to answer though because
> > > of how configurable glusterfs can be.
> > >
> > > So my request I guess is specific to a 2 machine, server side afr with
> > > many clients config example(s).
> > >
> > > Maybe start with the basic one that is there, then add a few more
> > > examples with how you might tune it with performance translators and
> > > such. It would just save a little time compared to the trial and error
> > > method.
> > >

> > Ok so using the setfattr -n trusted.glusterfs.version -v 3 <file/dir>
> > command, do you need to build a script to recurvisely go through every
> > file/folder for the given path?
> >

> Nevermind answered my own question
>
> find /mnt/raid/webcluster -depth -type f -execdir setfattr -n
> trusted.glusterfs.version -v 3 {} \; >/dev/null

Ok so some documentation on the implementations of doing this and what
order and such when starting a new cluster setup probably needs to be
put on the wiki too.

I just setup my two servers, one had a 30 gig web data dir and the
other an empty dir. I ran this command on the 30 gigs and then mounted
on a client machine and watched it happily delete my entire web data.
I am now at work after a mad rush here to launch our backup software
and restore from last night.

Oh the joys of sysadmining... sucks when it is your own damn fault. I
had to tell my boss, oh sorry, your message boards and orders for
today are lost. Oops!

So once I do a little more testing with this I will try to throw some
documentation together myself so other people dont find themselves in
this situation.

Thank goodness for backups!