[Gluster-devel] Question about compile performance over GlusterFS

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 13 15:41:30 UTC 2008

Amar S. Tumballi wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>  Thanks for a nice comparison  between GlusterFS and other network file
> systems. But sure, before concluding about the performance, I would suggest
> few improvement to your GlusterFS setup.
>
> 1. Try with client/protocol instead of having unify with only one subvolume.
> (Unify makes sense when you have more than one subvolume, but when there is
> only one subvolume, its a extra layer which may count as overhead), below
> io-thread volume.
>
> 2. in io-cache on client side, as during kernel compile lot of *.h files are
> re-read, you can give preference to *h files only.
>
> volume ioc
>   type performance/io-cache
>   subvolumes wb
>   option priority *.h:100
> end-volume

I changed the io-cache settings to those above and eliminated the use of the Unify
subvolume (my scripts generate server/client configs automatically, and in most
cases multiple servers are used, in this case they weren't).    The compile time
went down, but not by much.  The latest test finished in 1042 seconds.

What I didn't test this time is the compile directly on the storage that is exported
by Gluster.  The runtime there is 399 seconds, so the underlying filesystem is fast.

I am not making any conclusions about the performance based on these numbers.
Things are going great so far, and this should be a solveable problem based on the
other performance characteristics I have seen.

Craig