[Gluster-devel] Question about random and rr scheduler

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 4 00:27:37 UTC 2008

I setting up Gluster (1.3.7) with two servers.  I first
tried configuring the clients as round-robin (rr). When I try and write
to the filesystem for the first time, all of the files go
to the first brick.  Subsequent writes will alternate between
the two bricks.  When I try random, the first file is always
created on the first brick.  Subsequent writes always go to
the first brick (never the second).

What I want is round-robin, or a working random.  However,
for round-robin to work for me, I need the chosen server to
be random, not always the first one.

In the long-term, it wouldn't really matter because everything
would average out.  However, I am creating filesystems that
will be temporary, so I need the right behavior in the short term.

Should random do what I need?  Should I look in the code
and see how to get the Round-Robin schedule to start with
a random index?

Thanks,
Craig

-------- client.cfg