[Gluster-devel] LVM

Onyx lists at bmail.be
Sat Jun 14 19:07:58 UTC 2008

Krishna Srinivas wrote:
> Onyx,
>
> Just thinking about it, using snapshots as glusterfs storage volumes
> is not advisable unless you know what you are doing. If you roll back
> a volume, it will depend on how selfheal of unify/afr handle it. AFR
> would just update the rolled back volume with the other copy.

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Newer will overwrite the older, witch
is the rolled-back one in this case.

> Better use of LVM + glusterfs would be to grow the backend FS
> as an when needed.

Yes I have been thinking of that too.
I was just  'brainstorming' on a solution to have snapshot features in
glusterfs.

> I think use case of snapshots just in backend LVM in a glusterfs
> environment will not be much. However snapshots in a glusterfs
> as a whole filesystem will be useful.

It surely would.
Now, what if I would setup a glusterfs volume with lvm on all it's
subvolumes. It shouldn't be to hard to write something that, if I want
to make a snapshot of the whole glusterfs filesystem, it sends my "take
snapshot"-command to the all the lvm subvolumes and executes the actual
lvm snapshot command over there. Or am I missing something here?