[Gluster-devel] glusterfs_1.4.0qa19: small issues

Amar S. Tumballi amar at zresearch.com
Mon Jun 9 22:30:26 UTC 2008

Hi Brent,
 We really appreciate for taking time and testing qa release. Can you look
into glusterfs log file, and send us the logs related to
'cp0/share/linux-sound-base'. That will help to fix the issue right away.
(though looking at this msg, i think chmod() after create is failing.

>> I really appreciate the focus on metadata performance in the latest
branch, and would be interested in any tips or patches to further boost the
metadata performance (high-speed file creation and lookups).  I do wonder if
BDB would be effective for namespace, as someone asked in a previous post.

Yes! we realized small files performance and metadata calls (lookup, utimes,
chmod etc) are very costly once the filesystem size grows. We are still
thinking about it. Currently BDB is not supporting any attributes to files.
(file mode, ownership etc). Also its not supporting hardlinks. Hence I am
not sure how good it will be to use BDB on namespace.  Sure more discussion
on this will help us too to get some idea.

Regards,
Amar

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Brent A Nelson <brent at phys.ufl.edu> wrote:

> I've just started testing the new branch.  So far, it's working and stable,
> but I'm testing it with rsync, local-to-GlusterFS and
> GlusterFS-to-GlusterFS, which is failing to set the destination mtimes to
> match the origin.
>
> Also, I just tried a cp -a, which gives lots of complaints:
> cp -a /usr cp0
> cp: setting permissions for `cp0/share/linux-sound-base': No such file or
> directory
> cp: setting permissions for `cp0/share/bug/libmagic1': No such file or
> directory
> cp: setting permissions for `cp0/share/bug/apt': No such file or directory
> cp: setting permissions for `cp0/share/bug/grub': No such file or directory
>
> But, when I check, those directories do exist.
>
> My test setup is a 4-node, 4-exports-per-node unified AFR, with AFRed
> namespace.  Each export is its own glusterfsd process.  No performance
> translators on the client, with io-threads (8) and posix-locks on the
> servers.  The client is using read-subvolume, where appropriate.  I'm just
> using standard FUSE 2.7.2 at the moment.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brent

Amar Tumballi
Gluster/GlusterFS Hacker