[Gluster-devel] Re: [Gluster-users] Gluster on tcp ip compared to infiniband

Anand Babu Periasamy ab at zresearch.com
Sun Jul 20 08:22:40 UTC 2008

Yes, there is a significant performance difference between Infiniband
and GigE. Infiniband's latency is 1us and bandwidth is 20Gbps (40 Gbps
capable already) . GigE's latency is between 30 to 100us at 1Gbps.
Infiniband has become affordable. For example, Flextronics 8-port
Infiniband switch costs $2,824. Flextronics 24-port Infiniband DDR
switch costs $7,609.  Cisco, Voltaire IB switches are slightly more
expensive, but still way too cheaper than 10GigE.

Here is a good summary:
http://www.mellanox.com/applications/IB_performance.php

When you use Infiniband, GlusterFS uses RDMA (remote direct memory
access) for communication. Meaning, TCP/IP and local/remote
CPUs are bypassed.

10GigE is still not mature and very expensive.

Hope this helps.
--
Anand Babu Periasamy
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31