[Gluster-devel] Selfheal is not working?

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 15:45:15 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 7/17/08, Tomáš Siegl <tomas.siegl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Step1: Client1:  cp test_file.txt /mnt/gluster/
> Step2: Brick1 and Brick4: has test_file.txt in
> /mnt/gluster/ directory
> Sept3: Client1: ls /mnt/gluster - test_file.txt is present
>
> Step4: Brick1: rm /mnt/gluster/test_file.txt
> Step5. Client1: cat /mnt/gluster/test_file.txt -> we
> will get contents
> of file from brick4
>
> Step6. Brick1 ls /home/export is empty. Selfheal not
> recovered file.

I suspect that this is normal, you are not suppose to modify
the bricks manually from underneath AFR.  AFR uses extended
attributes to keep file version metadata.  When you manually
deleted the file in step4 the directory version metadata should
not have been updated so I suspect that caused the mismatch
to go undetected.  The self heal would have occurred if the
brick node were down and the file was deleted by client and
then the brick node returned to operation.

-Martin