[Gluster-devel] webservers vs. glusterfs vs. namespace

Sascha Ottolski ottolski at web.de
Fri Jan 18 08:58:45 UTC 2008

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone might have some general advices if I miss
something important in my test setup. I'm trying to figure out how to
tweak the configs to achieve the best performance, but get result that
feel strange to me. I will post some numbers at a later point, but up
to now what I discovered is:

- glusterfs without a namespace (1.3.0pre4) seems to be significant
faster than with namespace (tla patch-628)

that seems to logical, at least I would expect some overhead for the
namespace.

what i absolutely not understand is, how different the webservers
perform. i tested with

    siege -f /tmp/siege-urls.txt.new -c100 -i -r50 -b

with up to 3 sessions in parellel, each firing it's requests to a
seperate webserver (on seperate machines, of course).

up to now my ranking by means of requests/per second is something like

630 | apache
430 | apache2 (worker)
350 | nginx
250 | lighttpd

(with 1.3.0pre4 and no namespace, the best I've seen was apache2 with
about 900, apache still 750). I must admit that up to now I did not
compare it to local filesystem, but from my past experiences with
webservers I would expect nginx and lighttpd way ahead of the
apaches...

Also, I exprimented a bit with different settings for io-threads on the
server (1, 2, 4, 8, and cache-size 64 or 128MB), but that didn't seem
to make much of a difference. Same with read-ahead (which seems
logical, as I test with relatively small images).

So far I did not try the booster. I use fuse-2.7.0-glfs7. I also did not
try the latest tla nor fuse-2.7.2-glfs8.

Thanks a lot for any pointer,

Sascha