[Gluster-devel] Re: Trying to setup afr 2 server 1 client following the example on the wiki

Brandon Lamb brandonlamb at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 18:13:09 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 9:56 AM, Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://ezopg.com/gfs/
>
> I uploaded my client config and the server configs for the 2 servers.
> 3 seperate machines.
>
> I can get to mounting, then do cd /mnt/gfs (mounted gfs dir) and then
> i typed find . -type f -exec head -c 1 {} \; >/dev/null and got
>
> find: ./test: Transport endpoint is not connected
> find: ./bak: Transport endpoint is not connected
>
> And then the crash on server1
>
> Am I doing someting obviously wrong?

Ok I emptied the gfs and gfsns dirs on both servers (they had existing
files/dirs from a different gfs setup i was testing).

Now I can create files and dirs.

Now I am wondering about speed. I have a 82 megabyte tarball with 337 files.
[root at client gfstest]# time tar xf yoda.tar
real    0m22.567s
user    0m0.042s
sys     0m0.357s

Now i changed to a dir on server2 that i have mounted over nfs
[root at client nfstest]# time tar xf yoda.tar
real    0m4.956s
user    0m0.030s
sys     0m0.827s

Do I have some performance translators configured wrong or in the
wrong place or is that really the speed I should be expecting?

Server 1 is a 8 sata2 raid (8 seagate 250g es drives)
Server 2 is a 16 scsi 160 raid

>From roughly 5 seconds to 22 is a huge increase, Im hoping im doing
something horribly wrong. Using gigabit switch on its own 192 network
for all this