[Gluster-devel] Online codes

Aga aga at intercom.it
Tue Jan 8 13:59:46 UTC 2008

Hello everybody,

I am using GlusterFS since a few weeks. Surfing the net I stumbled into this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_codes

I am wondering if it would be a good idea to make a xlator for GlusterFS using
this algorithm.

The advantage of this solution is that you can split a file in N size blocks,
and spread them around the bricks. If you lose one brick, you can still
reconstruct files combining the remaining blocks. It's also quite efficient.

Kind regards to everybody and compliments for the great job already done!

Paolo Agazzone               Intercom s.r.l.      Phone: +39-0321-996479
p.agazzone at intercom.it       via Pianta', 8         Fax: +39-0321-966247
Linux Reg. User: #205873  I-28010 - Vaprio (NO)  http://www.intercom.it/