[Gluster-devel] io-threads confusion

Sascha Ottolski ottolski at web.de
Wed Feb 27 09:42:29 UTC 2008

Hi,

this whole io-threads business makes me nuts. In my tests with
webservers serving many small images, I could never see remarkable
difference when playing with io-threads, neither on server nor on
client side.

besides that, it still confuses me how to know which settings are
recommended. in on posting is said, io-threads on the client may help:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gluster-devel/2007-11/msg00192.html

in some other postings, it's said it doesn't have an effect on
client-side, i.e.:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gluster-devel/2008-01/msg00241.html

and it still remains unclear (at least to me) how many threads should be
configured. if I understand that each thread handles one request
parallel to the others, than if I have 1000 parallel request, wouldn't
I want to set io-threads to a similar high number?

say I have 3 webservers, each handling 100 requests in parallel, all
using the same glusterfs mount.

should it improve performance if I

- set io-threads to 100 on each client
- set io-threads to 300 on the server