[Gluster-devel] NFS reexport status

Brent A Nelson brent at phys.ufl.edu
Mon Feb 25 07:31:28 UTC 2008

I thought I'd present my findings with regards to NFS reexport from a
recent TLA of GlusterFS (patch 663), in case they are of use:

1) Stale NFS file handles coupled with the loss of the CWD (current
working directory) can occur on idle client shells.  This seems to occur
with AFR filesystems, presumably due to the possibility that the inode
number of the directory could change, but not with unify (even with AFR
underneath and even with the namespace AFRed, I've not encountered the
problem, although I am now using the read-subvolume option, which may be
avoiding the issue).

2) Aside from 1), NFS-kernel server seems to provide 100% correct NFS
reexport, no glitches or weird errors.  However, it's extremely slow, on
the order of 200-300KBps writes.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to
speed this up? Nevertheless, for someone who just needs NFS reexport for
compatibility with systems that can't run GlusterFS, and performance
doesn't matter, this will apparently do the job.

3) Using unfs3 for NFS reexport, there is no need to disable direct-io
(unlike with the kernel server), and performance is magnificent (I
saturated the fast ethernet link when writing from my test client when
direct-io was enabled, with 10.2 MBps writes, 8.3MBps with direct-io
disabled)! Unfortunately, NFS behavior is not 100% correct.  cp -a gives
several stale NFS file handle errors, and rm -rf doesn't empty some
directories and therefore fails (at least on a Solaris NFS client).
Because of the glitches, unfs3 is probably not really usable right now,
despite the impressive performance.

Thanks,

Brent Nelson
Director of Computing