[Gluster-devel] AFR filesystem inconsistency?

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Mon Feb 18 03:41:46 UTC 2008

> Inconsistencies cal still occur if server A goes
> down and server B get written to and the B goes down.
> When A comes up it will not have B's latest changes if
> B is still down.  Is preventing this in the works?  If
> so, I am curious as to what type of mechanism will be
> used?  Is there a feature "term" used to describe
> this, it does not seem to be implied by the term
> 'self-healing' which seems slated for 1.4.  Would this
> be a more advanced feature, what would it be called
> and when is it planned for?

In the current design, whenever one or more server goes down, or comes up,
there must be atleast one common server between the previous subset and the
new subset of servers, who can carry on the self-heal knowledge to the newly
added servers.

The future versions we plan to implement proactive selfheal where we record
deltas of changes, and this need should go.

avati