[Gluster-devel] gluster questions

Jonathan Fine fine at astro.psu.edu
Mon Feb 4 16:49:57 UTC 2008

I'm thinking about implementing gluster as a possible way of home
directory server redundancy(using the afr translator), but I have a
few questions that I can't seem to find the answer to:

-Does installing gluster require a total format of the "bricks" or
data volumes involved?  Can I just install it over the current system
and keep data intact? From what I read it just works over the current
filesystem (ext3, xfs, etc)?

-We currently have a single node w/fibre channel raid (partitioned
into 7 luns for different user groups) for our home directories.  All
exported using NFS.  We are getting in a new server and raid unit,
which will become the primary server once it is setup.  Can I setup
the new server and raid as a single gluster node, get the data copied
over (via rsync or something similar), move clients over to the new
machine, then resetup the old server/raid combo and add it into the
gluster system?  Or is there a better way to do this?

-Concerning NFS and tied into the above question: we use it for it's
compatibility with Mac, Linux and Solaris workstations and has worked
fairly well.  We'd like to stick with it.  Would that require running
a fuse/gluster client on one of the above nodes and re-exporting it as
NFS?  That is the way I seem to understand from my searches on the
mailing lists.    Or can you directly export a gluster brick via nfs?
And if running the fuse/gluster client on one of the server nodes w/
exported NFS is necessary, is this a safe way to do things?

Any helpful hints, tips or different ways of thinking about things is
appreciated.

Jon

p.s. sorry for all of the questions...I'm a bit new at attempting
filesystem/service redundancy