[Gluster-devel] Cache Translator Questions

Basavanagowda Kanur gowda at zresearch.com
Wed Dec 31 02:51:54 UTC 2008

Replies inline.

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Martin Fick <mogulguy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to understand the cache translator better.
>
> 1A) Is the cache a memory cache only (non-file based)?

Yes, io-cache is a memory cache.

> 1B) If memory only, are there any plans for a file based cache?

Yes, we have plans for file based cache in our future release.

> 2) Are there any downsides to making the cache very large, simply using up
> memory?

You can make have large cache size.

> 3) What is the page-size used for? Is it the minimum amount used per file
> cached?

page-size is the size of cache page stored in memory by io-cache. io-cache
reads from file in page-size size everytime.

> 4A) What is the timeout used for?

timeout is attribute timeout. after timeout time, revalidate is sent and the
io-cache is updated if the attributes have changed.

> 4B) Does the client check with the server to see if a file has changed
> before the timeout, or only after?

every read call returns also returns attribute, so revalidation is done even
with read calls. if no read/write activity has happened on file, then
attribute validation is done after timeout.

> 4C) Is a file flushed no matter what after the timeout?

no file will be flushed only if it has changed or is not used for long time
and cache needs to make space for other files.

> Thanks,
>
> -Martin

gowda