[Gluster-devel] minor bugs in 1.4.0rc4

Brent A Nelson brent at phys.ufl.edu
Wed Dec 17 21:03:27 UTC 2008

It had been a little while since I tried the 1.4 branch, and I saw you
were up to rc4, so I thought I'd better give things another whirl.

The first thing I noticed with my setup
(io-threads->dht->afr->protocol/client->protocol/server->io-threads->posix-locks->storage/posix)
was that it couldn't write files correctly beyond 16KB.  This turned out
to be due to o-direct having been on in storage/posix, and was an issue
with o-direct previously.  Turning it off resolved that problem.  There's
probably only a certain set of circumstances where o-direct is presently
usable, so perhaps only a note in the documentation is needed.

Another small glitch (with no known workaround--this is likely a simple
bug) I encountered in this setup is a permission problem when copying or
rsyncing directories containing hardlinks.  Many hardlink files end up
with an a+t permission which they should not have.

Thanks,

Brent

dht, and GlusterFS itself, seems quite fast and responsive in this
configuration, much better than I've seen in the past (previously, dht was
too new and cranky for me to test, so I'm comparing with unify).