[Gluster-devel] ioc taking too much memory

Dan Parsons dparsons at nyip.net
Tue Aug 26 07:32:16 UTC 2008

I'm running glusterfs 1.3.11. I have cache-size set to '2048MB' in my
conf file, but in this particular test I'm running (catting a 6.3GB
file to /dev/null), it isn't stopping at 2GB. As of this moment it's
gone to 3.8GB and the box only has 4GB RAM; I'm watching curiously to
see when the box will crash. I assume this is non-standard behavior?
It should stop at 2048MB right?

Vitals: CentOS 5.2 64-bit, kernel 2.6.23.14, glusterfs-1.3.11,
fuse-2.7.2glfs9

Below is my entire config file, though the relevant section is ioc.

### Add client feature and attach to remote subvolume of server1
volume distfs01
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp/client     # for TCP/IP transport
  option remote-host 10.8.101.51      # IP address of the remote brick
  option remote-subvolume brick        # name of the remote volume
end-volume

### Add client feature and attach to remote subvolume of server2
volume distfs02
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp/client     # for TCP/IP transport
  option remote-host 10.8.101.52      # IP address of the remote brick
  option remote-subvolume brick        # name of the remote volume
end-volume

volume distfs03
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp/client
  option remote-host 10.8.101.53
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume distfs04
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp/client
  option remote-host 10.8.101.54
  option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume stripe0
   type cluster/stripe
   option block-size *:1MB
   option scheduler alu
   option alu.order read-usage:write-usage:disk-usage
   option alu.read-usage.entry-threshold 20%
   option alu.read-usage.exit-threshold 4%
   option alu.write-usage.entry-threshold 20%
   option alu.write-usage.exit-threshold 4%
   option alu.disk-usage.entry-threshold 2GB
   option alu.disk-usage.exit-threshold 100MB
   subvolumes distfs01 distfs02 distfs03 distfs04
end-volume

volume ioc
   type performance/io-cache
   subvolumes stripe0         # In this example it is 'client' you may
have to change it according to your spec file.
   option page-size 1MB      # 128KB is default
   option cache-size 2048MB    # 32MB is default
   option force-revalidate-timeout 5 # 1second is default
   option priority *.psiblast:3,*.seq:2,*:1
end-volume

Dan Parsons