[Gluster-devel] Re; Load balancing ...

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Apr 30 08:11:12 UTC 2008

Martin Fick wrote:

>> A better solution would be to maintain a list of
>> dirty blocks and use it during selfheal.
>
> Agreed, but why not make it infinitely granular and
> keep a list of dirty file spans instead of blocks?
> This should be extremely space efficient.

Is this complication and extra effort realy worth the benefit over
straight rolling hash rsync approach? It seems to me that applying the
rsync method at read-time would be a fairly minor mod that would solve
99% of the problem. No extra book-keeping would be required, only a
change from copying the whole file to rsyncing the file.

Gordan