[Gluster-devel] Local vs unify

Gareth Bult gareth at encryptec.net
Mon Apr 28 09:31:27 UTC 2008

>As we are talking about Distributed/Clustered FS, we haven't given any benchmark comparing to NFS or localdisk.

Sorry, I was looking at this;
http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_1.2.1-BENKI_Aggregated_I/O_vs_NFSv4_Benchmark

I read this as GlusterFS .vs NFSv4 .. in which GlusterFS kicks ass .. am I mis-reading .. ?

Indeed it quotes;

>Single GlusterFS brick can perform better than single NFS server.

Incidentally, I do agree with this statement, however in the context of "statistics" it could be construed as a little misleading.

>Yes! agreed. When ever we tried to improve upon documentation, we don't see problem as we can't see
>it as a newbie, we end up writing a proper spec file, compiling properly, etc, hence we requested all to
>point out to errors in Documentation so we can correct it. Till now we have corrected all those pages/errors
> which were pointed out here through mailing-list.

Generally I think the documentation is excellent, this wasn't a criticism ..
This was simply a caveat if it turns out that there are ways around the issues I'm finding that I am unaware of .. :)

>Again, we are not comparing with local disk. But still our goal is to reach near disk speed
>with using Infiniband RDMA. Already we have reached it for I/O performance. As we have
>no metadata server, (namespace is just a cache, not metadata), the clustered performance
>for metadata will surely look poor compared to localdisk, we are working on enhancing our
> metadata performance too.

That's fantastic, I was about to say that I have also (as you may have gathered) managed to obtain > local disk performance from Gluster under some circumstances and the fact that you are working on enhancing the metadata answers many of my queries / issues.

Indeed there are only two comments I would make;

a. It would be nice to have something (have I missed it?) in the documentation (maybe in big letters .. ;) ) saying "metadata might be an issue for some people at the moment which would result in slow performance under circumstances (x,y,z)". This would have saved much hair tearing time when I'd assumed "I" was as fault. (and you will notice historically I'm not the only one who has commented on this issue ..)

b. Having people on the mailing list say "yeah, but it was designed this way", implying no changes were expected to the way it works, isn't all that helpful .. if nobody is going to pipe up and say "we working on it".

>Thanks for supporting our design. We are working towards fixing those few glitches!
>But true that things are not changing as fast as we have wished. Each new idea needs
>time to get converted into code, get tested. Hence bit delay in things.

No problem and thank you for this email, it has answered a major issue for me .. I am of course going to ask;
a. Any timescale on the metadata changes?
b. How much of a difference will it make.. will we be approaching local(ish) speeds .. or are we just talking x2 of current?

Referring to the other post I just responded to, I DO appreciate the time developers put into this (and other) projects .. however as user who has made a significant time investment in the project (I also do not get paid for my time spent on Gluster!) it's always nice to feel that the information flow is 2-way .. be nice for example to see updates to trouble tickets on the tracker ... ;-)

Just for reference;
21916, 31 Dec 07 - Self-heal on sparse files
21917, 31 Dec 07 - Self-heal on striped volumes

:)

Ok, one more;

Documentation suggestions;

"Issues we are aware of" ....
(with either "won't fix", "may fix sometime" "fix by date xxx" ...)

:)

Gareth.