[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS v1.3-SUSKE Release Announcement

Anand Babu Periasamy ab at zresearch.com
Sat Apr 26 10:35:32 UTC 2008

GlusterFS v1.3-SUSKE Release Announcement:
Since the GlusterFS v1.2-BENKI Jan 2007 release, we have long awaited
for this day. v1.3 development has been a roller coaster ride. We
tried to achieve too many goals at the same time. After a number of
revisions, we now have a good combination of useful functionalities,
decent performance and acceptable stability. We name this version of
GlusterFS v1.3.8 as the official beginning of stable 1.3-SUSKE series.

Download: http://ftp.zresearch.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/1.3/
Documentation: http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS
Supported OS: GNU/Linux, Mac OS X Leopard, FreeBSD (server only),
              Solaris (server only).
              * Some users got GlusterFS client to work on Solaris and
              FreeBSD. We are yet to qualify the availability.

-----------[ READ MORE ]-----------------------------------------------

Whats in 1.3-SUSKE
-----------------------
Clustering Mode:
 - File level distribution (Unify)
 - Automatic file replication / Mirroring (AFR)
 - Distributed striping (Stripe)
 - Mixed mode (Unify + AFR + Stripe)

I/O Schedulers:
 - Round robin
 - Random
 - Wild card
 - Adaptive least usage
 - Non-uniform file system access

Inter-connect Driver:
 - TCP/IP
 - Infiniband verbs RDMA
 - Infiniband sockets direct protocol
 - Unix domain socket

Performance Modules:
 - Booster (kernel bypass)
 - I/O cache
 - I/O threads
 - Read ahead
 - Write behind

Storage Back-end:
 - POSIX FS
 - *Berkeley DB

Misc Modules:
 - POSIX locks
 - Trashcan
 - Authentication - user/pass, source-IP
 - *Meta (proc like management / monitoring interface)
 - Trace logger
 - Rot-13 rudimentary encryption
 - Filter
 - Fixed owner / group

Test Automation:
 - GlusterFS Unit Test Automation

Known Issues (Top Priority):
* Default timeout of 108 seconds is too long
* BerkeleyDB backend - symlink, rmdir and transactions support pushed
  to next release
* IB verbs reconnection issue on certain firmware versions

Happy Hacking,
--
GlusterFS Team
Z RESEARCH Inc