[Gluster-devel] Re; Load balancing ...

Gareth Bult gareth at encryptec.net
Fri Apr 25 22:21:10 UTC 2008

>You're expecting a bit much here - for any shared/clustered FS. DRBD
>might come close if your extents are big enough, but that's a whole
>different ball game...

I was quoting a real-world / live data scenario, DRBD handles it just fine.
.. but it is a different mechanism to gluster.

>Sounds like a reasonably sane solution to me.

It is. It also makes Gluster useless in this scenario.

>Why would the cluster effectively be down? Other nodes would still be
>able to server that file.

Nope, it won't replicate the file while another node has it locked .. which means you effectively need to close all files in order to kick off the replication process, and the OPEN call will not complete until the file has replicated .. so effectively (a) you need to restart all your processes to make then close and re-open their files (or HUP them.. or whatever), then those processes will all freeze until the files they are trying to open have replicated.

>Or are you talking about the client-side AFR?

Mmm, it's been a while, I'm not entirely sure I've tested the issue on client side and server side.
Are you telling me that server-side will work quite happily and it's only client-side that has all these issues?

>I have to say, a one-client/multiple-servers scenario sounds odd.
>If you don't care about downtime (you have just one client node so that's
>the only conclusion that can be reached), then what's the problem with a bit more downtime?

My live scenario was 4 (2x2) AFR servers with ~ 12 clients.

Obviously this setup is no longer available to me as it proved to be useless in practice.

I'm currently revisiting Gluster with another "new" requirement (as per my last email) .. currently I'm testing a 2 x server + 1 x client setup with regards to load balancing and use over a slow line. Obviously (!) both servers can also act as clients so I guess to be pedantic you'd call it 2 servers + 3 clients. My point was I have 1 machine with no server.

Gareth.

--
Managing Director, Encryptec Limited
Tel: 0845 5082719, Mob: 0785 3305393
Email: gareth at encryptec.net
Statements made are at all times subject to Encryptec's Terms and Conditions of Business, which are available upon request.