[Gluster-devel] Re; Load balancing ...

Gareth Bult gareth at encryptec.net
Fri Apr 25 22:11:46 UTC 2008

>Sounds like you'd gladly sacrifice correctness of the "answer" for
>speed. I don't think that's a trade-off most people would accept from a
>POSIX FS.

If I insisted on "correctness", I wouldn't have either a system or a business and this conversation would not be taking place.
So, "yes".

>Can you cite an example? My apologies if I missed it earlier on the thread.

Sorry, an example of what?

>Have you tried with server-side AFR?

As I recall yes, but not recently .. this would have been Nov/Dec 2007.

>Manual failover? How... 1970s...
>For most of my systems, uptimes are of too high an importance to not
>have automatic failover. And if you're going to have automated failover,
>you might as well have load-sharing to boot with primary-primary operation.

Since I dispensed with automatic failovers, my uptime has been 100%.
When automatic fail-overs make your system unstable, they defeat the object of the exercise.

I have used "heartbeat" in the past and mostly it works Ok.
Then one day something happened, nobody knows what, but it screwed both mirrors.
I won't be using it again (!)

>Go for it. I can see that it might be a useful plug-in. Especially in
>the case where clients can be read-only but need local copies for
>performance reasons. Essentially it would be more of a real-time file
>replication solution than a file-system. But if that's what you are
>trying to do, then you might as well use NFS with a huge FS-Cache.

I have lots of "requirements", the current requirement is for 2 x geographically diverse NX (nomachine) servers with a shared "home" directory, such that a user can log in to either servers for access to their files. (but not both) So they will only ever access files from ONE location at once.

At the moment Guster is unusable for this.
Allowing local metadata read would make it perfect.

NFS "could" be used by rsyncing data at regular intervals or on demand, but to my way of thinking Gluster WOULD be the better solution. Can you see any possible way this could cause a problem re; conflicts / locking / corruption ?

Gareth.