[Gluster-devel] Re; Load balancing ...

Gareth Bult gareth at encryptec.net
Fri Apr 25 14:59:58 UTC 2008

Ok,

Well here's the thing. I've tried to apply Gluster in 8 different "real world" scenario's, and each time I've failed either because of bugs or because "this simply isn't what GlusterFS is designed for".

Now, I approached each case fairly seriously and tried different combinations of read and write caches, different numbers of io threads trying each combination on both client and server to see what differences / pros / cons were.

Jumbo frames is a non-starter for me as my production environment is Xen based, which doesn't yet support Jumbo frames.
(not that I think it's remotely likely this will solve the problem)

Suggesting that I'm either not tuning it properly or should be using an alternative filesystem I'm afraid is a bit of a cop-out. There are real problems here and saying "yes but Gluster is only designed to work in specific instances" is frankly a bit daft, and if this were the case, instead of a heavy sales pitch on the website along the lines of "Gluster is wonderful and does everything", it should be saying "Gluster will do x, y and z, only."

Now, Zope is a long-standing web based application server that I've been using for nearly 10 years, telling me it's "excessive" really doesn't fly. Trying to back up a gluster AFR with rsync runs into similar problems when you have lots of small files - it takes way longer than it should do.

Moving to the other end of the scale, AFR can't cope with large files either .. handling of sparse files doesn't work properly and self-heal has no concept of repairing part of a file .. so sticking a 20Gb file on a GlusterFS is just asking for trouble as every time you restart a gluster server (or every time one crashes) it'll crucify your network.

Now, a couple of points;

a. With regards to metadata, given two volumes mirrored via AFR, please can you
   explain to me why it's ok to do a data read operation against one node only, but not a metadata read
   operation .. and what would break if you read metadata from only one volume?

b. Looking back through the list, Gluster's non-caching mechanism for acquiring file-system information
   seems to be at the root of many of it's performance issues. Is there no mileage in trying to address
   this issue ?

c. If I stop one of my two servers, AFR suddenly speeds up "a lot" !
   Would it be so bad if there were an additional option "subvolume-read-meta" ?
   This would probably involve only a handful of additional lines of code, if that .. ?

Gareth.