[Gluster-devel] Doing LS with a lot of directory, files

Einar Gautun einar.gautun at statkart.no
Thu Apr 24 11:33:26 UTC 2008

Hello,
I've set up a split network, with one switch(Gbit) having the official
ip for ssh, ntp, nis and so on - mtu 1500. Then I have another
switch(Gbit) with 10.0.0.0/24 - mtu 9000 - for the file transport. Here
I use trunking. This gave so much better responce with ls, so now I have
3029 files in a directory and ls -l takes only 2-3 seconds(test setup).

Even under load this setup works just so much better, going from ls -l
with up to 1 min responce to 1-2 seconds under same load and same
equipment(running system). I have ext3 as filesystem, and io-threads
only on server, unify on client, no other translators serverside or
clientside.

Regards,

Einar