[Gluster-devel] Re; Load balancing ...

Gareth Bult gareth at encryptec.net
Wed Apr 23 09:44:42 UTC 2008

Hi, I'm using fuse-2.7.2glfs9 and glusterfs-1.3.8pre5 ..

Using AFR and "option read-subvolume" I'm expecting to be able to tell a client which server to prefer to read data from. Although this seems to work for pure data, it does not appear to work for file-system information .. so "dd" on a large file is quick and "ls" is very slow.

Can anyone tell me if "read-subvolume" should affect filesystem data and whether there is a way of speeding up what I'm doing.
i.e. can I tell it which volume to prefer for filesystem information lookups?

(effectively this is a read-mostly server running over a slow link .. basicall reads are good, "ls"'s are impossibly slow)

tia

--- Server ---

volume brick-raw
type storage/posix
option directory /vols/home/export
end-volume

volume brick
type features/posix-locks
subvolumes brick-raw
option mandatory on
end-volume

volume server
type protocol/server
option transport-type tcp/server
option auth.ip.brick.allow <ip's>
subvolumes brick
end-volume

--- Client ---
volume brick1
type protocol/client
option transport-type tcp/client
option remote-host brick1
option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume brick2
type protocol/client
option transport-type tcp/client
option remote-host brick2
option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume afr
type cluster/afr
subvolumes brick1 brick2
option read-subvolume brick1
end-volume

volume writebehind
type performance/write-behind
option aggregate-size 131072
subvolumes afr
end-volume

volume readahead
type performance/read-ahead
option page-size 65536
option page-count 16
subvolumes writebehind
end-volume

--
Managing Director, Encryptec Limited
Tel: 0845 5082719, Mob: 0785 3305393
Email: gareth at encryptec.net
Statements made are at all times subject to Encryptec's Terms and Conditions of Business, which are available upon request.