[Gluster-devel] self heal option

August R. Wohlt glusterfs at isidore.net
Tue Sep 11 00:04:18 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I notice that a few people have posted spec files with self-heal in
cluster/afr as well as in cluster/unify. I can't seem to demonstrate
this working, however. Is there a way to get healing functionality
with straigh afr?

Take a simple 2 machine afr mirror for example (spec file below). I
have a brick on machine A doing afr to the brick on machine B and vice
versa. If one of the bricks goes down and I create a file on the
remaining one, is there any way to have healing done with the other
brick comes back up?

In my testing, I don't see any evidence of self-heal in afr even
though several folks have it in their spec files. When I bring the
other machine back online, files that were create while it was down
are never created on the mirror brick.

Can someone with a more intimate knowledge of the code comment on this
? thanks...

Server(s) :

volume brick-ds
    type storage/posix
    option directory /.brick-ds
end-volume

volume server
    type protocol/server
    option transport-type tcp/server
    option bind-address 192.168.16.1
    subvolumes brick-ds
    option auth.ip.brick-ds.allow 192.168.16.*
end-volume

Client(s):

   volume brick-ds-local
     type protocol/client
     option transport-timeout 4
     option transport-type tcp/client
     option remote-host 192.168.16.1
     option remote-subvolume brick-ds
   end-volume

   volume brick-ds-remote
      type protocol/client
      option transport-timeout 4
      option transport-type tcp/client
      option remote-host 192.168.16.128
      option remote-subvolume brick-ds
    end-volume

    volume brick-ds-afr
      type cluster/afr
      subvolumes brick-ds-local brick-ds-remote
      option self-heal yes
      option replicate *:2
    end-volume