[Gluster-devel] proposals to afr

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Mon Oct 22 17:50:39 UTC 2007

Alexey Filin wrote:
> I understand it, I say about configuration when afr master node crashes
> before close() (it's indifferent is afr master on glfs slave or on glfs
> server node), in such a situation replicas can be inconsistent but afr
> version xattr is the same (old) on all replicas. To discover the
> inconsistency without minor version xattr it is required e.g. to calculate
> checksum of all replicas or to use workarounds like modification time check
> misbehaving in some cases.

Oh, I'm all for the AFR minor version.  I'm just leery of the benefits
of having a separated journal when the AFR minor version suggestion you
had seemed so elegant to me.  I don't know what a separated journal
would give you that the minor version wouldn't and the minor version is
more distributed and robust.

--

-Kevan Benson
-A-1 Networks