[Gluster-devel] production use?

Jerker Nyberg jerker at Update.UU.SE
Tue Oct 2 12:54:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've been running GlusterFS on a small cluster (5 old nodes) for a couple
of months and things seem to work fine. My department is planning to
upgrade the storage subsystem for their clusters in a few months,
currently the clusters (200+100+100 nodes) are using NFS-servers with 27
TByte storage. GlusterFS is one of the options. (Lustre is one of the
others and so is adding a couple of normal NFS-servers.)

Is it recommended to try using GlusterFS for production use today (or
probably early 2008)?

What is the best practice for a storage cluster running GlusterFS? I would
guess the raw storage would be in the order of 100 to 480 TBytes (up to
two racks of storage nodes.)

How does GlusterFS handle biterrors? Have anyone tried to run the
GlusterFS brick on Solaris/FreeBSD with ZFS? Are there any other plans for
checksums?

It is possible for GlusterFS to use the local disk on a client as a cache?
I currently see no such need, but I got the question.

One of the older machines is a SunFire15k running Solaris. But it is still
the one with the most cores and memory. Is it possible now (or in the
future) for this machine to access GlusterFS directly as a client without
reexporting as NFS?

Regards,
Jerker Nyberg, Uppsala.
Computer Science Student at Uppsala University.