[Gluster-devel] Scaled down a bit.

Chris Johnson johnson at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 28 15:52:28 UTC 2007

      Hi again.

      I've scaled everything way back as was suggested.  I'm also using
a dd file read as a test rather than iozone.  I have one brick on the
server mounted on the client, that's it.  Using time dd I get between
260 to 285 MS to read a 24 MB file.  Doing the same thing with NFS I
get about 20 to 30 MS less but I can live with that.

      I tried with and without io-threads on the server end.  No
noticable change either way.  I've read with io-threads is supposed to
do.  I had 8 threads defined.  What does it do and does it make a
different which side it's on, client or server?

      I also tried the io-cache on the client side.  MAN does that
work.  I had a 256 MB cache defind.  A reread of my 24 MB file took 72
MS.  I don't think it even bothered with the server much.  I need to
try that on the server.  Might help if a bunch of computer nodes
hammer on the same file at the same time.

Chris Johnson               |Internet: johnson at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Systems Administrator       |Web:      http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~johnson
NMR Center                  |Voice:    617.726.0949
Mass. General Hospital      |FAX:      617.726.7422
149 (2301) 13th Street      |First learn stand, then learn fly. Nature rule,
Charlestown, MA., 02129 USA |Daniel-san, not mine.  Mr. Miyagi to Daniel