[Gluster-devel] Full bore.

Hans Einar Gautun einar.gautun at statkart.no
Fri Nov 16 13:16:09 UTC 2007

tor, 15,.11.2007 kl. 10.48 -0800, skrev Kevan Benson:
> Chris Johnson wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Kevan Benson wrote:

> I read an interesting overview of file system recoverability once from
> an ext3 developer.  Basically, Ext3 view priority #1 as data integrity,
> and all else flows from that.  he had some interesting things to say
> about ReiserFS and even XFS (or was if JFS?).  Basically that ReiserFS
> suffers from some major integrity problems in the case of crashes, and
> even XFS (JFS?) has an issue to do with crashes in the middle of file
> writes, such that a file being written to might be removed entirely (not
> accessible at all) and unrecoverable if a crash happened at the right
> point during the write process.  It was from an Ext3 developer though,
> so you can read into that what you want.

I tested reiserfs vs xfs on a new and fast iron, filesize from 4k to
1MB. xfs was 2-3 times faster than reiserfs(v3,stable). Even a 40GB file
was faster on xfs.

I'm running 4 servers - glusterfs on xfs - in production.
But that said, I have experienced instant server kill on some occations
whitch may be from accessing corrupted files (from a xfs disk) and
trying to write them in glusterfs. Reading yours (Kevan) thoughts here
will make me take a new look at this possible file system problem.

Regards,

Einar Gautun                     einar.gautun at statkart.no

Statens kartverk            | Norwegian Mapping Authority
3507 Hønefoss               |    NO-3507 Hønefoss, Norway

Ph +47 32118372   Fax +47 32118101       Mob +47 92692662