[Gluster-devel] Full bore.

Chris Johnson johnson at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Thu Nov 15 17:03:12 UTC 2007

      Hi again,

      Ok, now have CentOS5 on the two DELL front ends to this SATA
Beast thingy.  I have gluster enhanced fuse on both and glusterfs
1.3.5 on both.

      Performance is still way below NFS.  I have turned on
write-behind and read-ahead.  And with fuse it's a little faster. but
not significantly.  To get more out of this it's pretty ovious I need
to do unify if I want BIG space, maybe striping.  If I  want high
availability I need AFR (that works with unify?).  And if I want to
use the second DELL front end I'm probably going to need locking if
they share drives.  Self healing works, right?  Wasn't there discussion
about a potential problem not long ago?

       Sound about right?

       I think I'm seeing from the glusterfs wiki that the order
in which things are defined in the config files matters.  It's a bit
unclear to me what the real order of things should be.

      Oh, this is ext3 with xattr turned on.  But we could use Reiserfs
if that would help.  I may run tests on that as well.

      Can we have a discussion on whether I'm heading in the right
direction and what order things go in for the config files?

      Also, any operational notes on running gluster on anything this
big will be appreciated.

Chris Johnson               |Internet: johnson at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Systems Administrator       |Web:      http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~johnson
NMR Center                  |Voice:    617.726.0949
Mass. General Hospital      |FAX:      617.726.7422
149 (2301) 13th Street      |Once technology is our master
Charlestown, MA., 02129 USA |well shall reach disaster faster.  Piet Hein