[Gluster-devel] performance

Chris Johnson johnson at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 6 18:44:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Kevan Benson wrote:

> 1) Stock fuse, or glusterfs patched fuse?  See
> http://ftp.zresearch.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/fuse/.  The Glusterfs team has
> some changes to some default values in fuse to make it perform better for
> common glusterfs scenarios, as well as a fix for locking, so you are better
> off using the glusterfs supplied fuse if you want better performance and or
> locking.

      Stock because I could get an RPM for it.

> 2) The read-ahead and write-behind translators are there to boost performance
> for certain scenarios if you know the types of access your mount will be
> doing much of the time.

      Serial reads and writes mostly.  Very little if any random stuff.

> 3) The real speed benefits arise when you are able to span reads across
> multiple servers, increasing response and transfer rate.  This is where the
> real benefits are (as well as redundancy), which NFS can't really compete
> with (unless you're using Solaris).

      Striping?  I thought that was frowned upon.

> 4) That's a real close benchmark.  Are you sure the medium over which you are
> transferring the data isn't maxed?  IB or TCP/IP?  100Mbit or 1000Mbit (and
> server grade or workstation grade cards if gigabit).

      The servers are on gigabit.  It was a preliminary test.  I need
to do it over known gigabit on both ends.  That's next.

Chris Johnson               |Internet: johnson at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Systems Administrator       |Web:      http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~johnson
NMR Center                  |Voice:    617.726.0949
Mass. General Hospital      |FAX:      617.726.7422
149 (2301) 13th Street      |Man's a kind of missing link
Charlestown, MA., 02129 USA |fondly thinking he can think.  Piet Hein