[Gluster-devel] AFR-over-Unify (instead of the other way around) ?

Krishna Srinivas krishna at zresearch.com
Thu May 31 04:43:31 UTC 2007

Hi Cedric,

This setup (afr over unify) is possible, but afr and unify were not designed to
work that way. In fact we had thought about this kind of setup.

AFR's job is to replicate the files among its children. AFR expects
its first child to have all the files (the replicate *:n option creates
atleast one file, which would be on the first child). All the read-only
operations (like readdir() read() getattr() etc) happen on AFR's
first child. This being the case if AFR's children are unify1 and unify2,
if one of unify1's node goes down, then user will not be able to
access the files that were there in the node that went down.
Suppose the whole of unify1 goes down, then AFR will failover
and do read operations from unify2.

Regards,
Krishna