[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS + DB

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sat May 12 15:36:22 UTC 2007

  Lately I've just been lurking and reading all the posts.  Amazing
progress by all the GlusterFS developers...  Looks like 1.3 is getting
pretty stable and I am anxiously awaiting GlusterFS 1.4 and self-heal
(as is everyone else here I'm sure).  That is where we can take
GlusterFS out of our labs and onto the track so to speak.  Now I'm
beginning to think about some of the issues of running a
shared-filesystem database cluster.  Existing methods of doing this have
usually involved SANs and FC and GFS and similar and insuring that
writes to the block device were updated to the cluster nodes in near
real time.  So is GlusterFS suited to being used in a shared-filesystem
database cluster scenario?  Can the performance be high enough that the
database cluster nodes will not see different/corrupted data?  How can
data integrity be addressed?  When 1.4 is somewhat complete I am
thinking about setting up a simple AFR cluster and running a simple
unpartitioned database over it just to see if this is possible.

Regards,
Gerry