[Gluster-devel] Re: [bug #19614] System crashes when node fails even with xfr

Brent A Nelson brent at phys.ufl.edu
Fri May 11 16:50:52 UTC 2007

I haven't seen this issue since before patch-164.  If it makes sense to
you that that patch might have fixed it, you can probably consider the
failed reconnect (requiring kill -9 to glusterfs) closed.  I think I would
have run across it by now if the issue was still present.  I just tried a
quick test, and it did fine (except for the issue discussed in the next
two paragraphs).

Reconnect has been very nice ever since, except for the other issue I
described (which has been there since the initial reconnect patches, I
believe): after a disconnect (say, kill and restart glusterfsd), the
client may not reconnect until the next I/O attempt (which is reasonable).
That next I/O attempt (such as a df or ls) will trigger a reconnect, but
the I/O that triggered it will get an error rather than waiting for the
reconnect to complete, issuing the I/O request, and getting the valid
result.  The next I/O attempt will work fine.

So, it seems that, if there's an I/O request when nodes that would affect
the I/O are in a disconnected state, reconnect should be given a moment to
succeed before returning an error for the I/O.  If the reconnect succeeds,
go ahead and do the I/O and return the result of it.

Or perhaps there's a better way to handle it?

Thanks,

Brent