[Gluster-devel] number of connections

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Fri Mar 9 22:44:22 UTC 2007

> Will a client open more than one connection to a storage node?

There is just one connection between a client and server.

> Rather will it open a separate connection per volume or does it connect
> to all the volumes on the same connection?

the client only 'connects' to the specified 'option remote-subvolume'
in the client/protocol section. other volumes are implicitly used
depending on how you have constructed the graph on the server side.

> I ask because I have a total of 6 gigabit ports per server, all of which
> are trunked together. While a single connection can only go at 1 GBit it
> would be nice to up the total throughput by having multiple connections.

It might be intersting to write an 'arbitrator' translator which
arbitrarily assigns calls to one of its N children in some
ordered/random fasion. Each of the children can be a seperate
client/protocol transltor configured to use different IP, hence
differnt interface, but in the end all of them connect to the same
glusterfsd.

regards,
avati

--
Shaw's Principle:
        Build a system that even a fool can use,