[Gluster-devel] [bug #19257] read-ahead with writebehind locks up under heavy RW load

A. D Auria INVALID.NOREPLY at gnu.org
Fri Mar 9 11:43:02 UTC 2007

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: GNU/Linux

Details:

[configuration...]
Using latest TLA version (09-march-2007)
volume writebehind
  type performance/write-behind
  option aggregate-size 131072
  subvolumes bricks
end-volume

volume readahead
  type performance/read-ahead
  option page-size 131072
  option page-count 16
  subvolumes writebehind
end-volume

[Observation...]
In the above configuration, our writing process was able to run for an
extended period of time (several hours).  As soon as we started our reading
process however, all reading and writing processes stopped responding.  No
crashes, no log reports, nothing.  No further traffic was observed.

For us to recover the client, we had 'umount -f' the gluster mount point and
then 'kill -9 glusterfs'.

After removing the 'volume readahead' section and restarting the client,
everything worked properly (without readahead).  Reading and writing with
high loads works properly with writebehind only.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?19257>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/