[Gluster-devel] Memory leak

Brent A Nelson brent at phys.ufl.edu
Thu Mar 8 15:39:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Anand Avati wrote:

> Brent,
>  glusterfs (client) memory usage increase with metadata operations is
> expected, it should drop after some idletime (after the kernel wishes
> to forget the correspending inodes),

I thought that could be, but I'm not sure.  I left the filesystem idle all
night, and I still have (from "ps auxww"):
root      3047  4.7 16.7 674668 673444 ?       Ss   Mar07  49:26
[glusterfsd]
root      3068  4.9  2.5 103072 101584 ?       Ss   Mar07  51:29
[glusterfs]

> though the glusterfsd increase looks suspicious.

Agreed.

> By the way, have you been trying io-threads on server or client or both?

Well, I didn't know I could even do a performance translator on the
server (glusterfsd)! All my performance translator tests are with the
client spec only.  My server specs only contain storage/posix and
protocol/server.  Client and server both are running on the same node(s).

Are performance translators recommended/required for both client and
server processes? Can you do the cluster translators on the server-side,
too?

> Thanks for the notice. (we are looking into read-ahead fixes currently)

Cool beans.

Thanks,

Brent