[Gluster-devel] recovery

Christopher Hawkins chawkins at veracitynetworks.com
Mon Mar 5 18:56:57 UTC 2007

The last fellow to post mentioned recovery... I have a question also: If I
had several storage servers and a number of clients accessing them, and I
were to lose a storage server, how best to bring it back online? I would be
using AFR to keep multiple copies of all files, so I know the cluster will
not lose data. But when the node goes down, does the AFR translator figure
out by itself that instead of the 3x copies I specified, there are now only
2x because I lost a storage node? Or does it only evaluate that at file
creation time? And when I bring the storage node back, say it takes me two
days to fix it, I assume I should probably wipe the drives so as not to
introduce old copies of files that are now out of date (or does AFR update
them)? And the ALU scheduler will start using the blank space more heavily
for new writes, because it is preferred as "less used" and the storage use
will eventually even out again?

Thanks for any answers!
Chris