[Gluster-devel] Feature Idea.

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Mar 2 21:31:41 UTC 2007

Nick Clarke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> -- Sorry to double post but my previous message got messed up somewhere along the way.
>
> I stumbled across Gluster while looking for a Linux cluster system and instantly had a big smile on my face after a couple of clicks.  This is a great project and not a small one.
>
> I did have an idea for a feature, not sure if it would something for Gluster or the scheduler.
>
> Power Save: The ability to Suspend/Sleep/Shutdown nodes (or groups of nodes) when they are not needed.
>
> Node states:
>   - Suspend: Do not start up until a set time for example.
>   - Sleep: Faster start up
>   - Shutdown: Longer to start up but no power consumption
>
> Node type examples:
>   - Data Centre
>       Achieve
>       Live
>       ….
>   - HPC
>       Render Farm
>       Web Server
>       ….
>   - Etc..
>
> - Timed Suspend/Sleep/Shutdown
>   7pm – 9am for example
>
> - Rule based power saver based on node type e.g. Data Centre, HPC node etc..
>    An example: A group of data centre nodes could be used for achieve and rarely used, so they could be set to Suspend after 2 hours of no use and only started when something is required. As their function is storing achieved data the user would allow for a small start up delay (common files could be cache on other nodes).
>
> - Suspend/Sleep/Shutdown when not needed.  Wake-On-Lan when needed (example: incoming large job, data access or during a time window).
>
> This would allow me and I’m sure others to save a lot of running costs.
>
> Nick

Nick,
I like your general thoughts on this. Cutting down the running costs is
a good goal for any cluster-based setup. Right now I would just settle
for having GlusterFS feature-complete, stable and major-bug free. But
definitely I would second adding these conservation features to the list.

Regards,
Gerry