[Gluster-devel] Looking for Howto

Basavanagowda Kanur gowda at zresearch.com
Wed Jun 27 14:00:40 UTC 2007

Steffen,
  Please find answers in-line.

On 6/27/07, Steffen Grunewald <steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de > wrote:

> I'm looking for a Howto document (or two):

http://gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_User_Guide

How to convert a simple pool of storage servers into a glusterfs pool?
> (Suppose you've got a collection of data, which someone has stored on a
> bunch of storage servers, each with its own RAID. Now we want to unify
> the namespace, and access all of the files through glusterfs.)
>
> How to do that with "poor man's RAID-1" (suppose the storage servers come
> in pairs, storing the same set of data on each side of the mirror, while
> the access is read-only[!])?
>
> (I *know* that the ideal way would be to start with an empty filesystem,
> but with more than a dozen TB of data I cannot afford that right now.)

Glusterfs now has  self-heal. It does not force users to start with empty
filesystems.

BTW, what's the state of 1.3.0? I know that there's a glusterfs-1.3.0-pre4.2

--
Gowda (benki)