[Gluster-devel] Best practices?

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Mon Jun 4 12:18:36 UTC 2007

running glusterfsd and glusterfs on the same node is definitely not a
bad practice. the nufa scheduler (to be used with the unify
translator) is written with such a scenario in mind where a group of
HPC machines export a 'piece' of the storage and all of them get a
combined shared mount.

to build both glusterfsd and glusterfs you just have to ./configure
and make install. both are installed by default.

avati

2007/6/4, Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb at gmail.com>:
> On 6/3/07, James Porter <jameslporter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > that is a good question, and how would you compile glusterfs and glusterfsd
> > ?
> >
> > On 6/3/07, Brandon Lamb <brandonlamb at gmail.com > wrote:
> > >
> > > I was wondering if there was any input on best practices of setting up
> > > a 2 or 3 server cluster.
> > >
> > > My question has to do with where to run glusterfsd (server) and where
> > > to run glusterfs (mounting as a client).
> > >
> > > Should I keep the servers that are actually handling the drives and
> > > exporting the glusterfs ONLY act as servers?
> > >
> > > ie should i run glusterfsd on 2 or 3 servers and then need another 1+
> > > client machines that mount?
> > >
> > > Or can I safely have the server and client running on the same machines?
> > >
> > > does that make sense? not sure how else to ask it haha

> I have a 2 server test setup and i just did a ./configure in the
> glusterfs-1.3.0-pre4 directory. Both run glusterfsd exporting
> /home/export and both connect as clients to themselves and the other
> and use the AFR translator using *:2
>
> seems to work, but I dont know if this is a good practice or if i am
> asking for trouble or what.
>
> Also, does this list have a top or bottom post preference? Top is more
> natural but some lists are picky.
>
> =P

Anand V. Avati