[Gluster-devel] AFR bricks - how does it resync question

DeeDee Park deedee6905 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 31 19:46:36 UTC 2007

Thanks that clears up a lot about what is going on. I am not familiar with
xattr. I tried getfattr -d <somefile> on both the brick, and glusterfs
client, and nothing showed up.

Does this information also exist in for directories?

Also, I see the algorithm checks for latest createtime. I think something is
missing. I would think that  lastmodified time needs to also be kept track
of to know which brick has the latest version. For Example, if I have Brick1
and Brick2, and they both exist when a file is created, then B2 goes down.
Let's say that <somefile> got modified in the interim while B2 was down.
When B2 comes back up, both files will have the same file create time, but
B1 will have a newer file modified time. I assume under the current
algorithm, both files on B1 and B2 would be considered as the same file by
glusterfs. Oh. my bad, I see now that you are using the trusted.afr.version
to keep track of which is modified later. I see some of the tradeoffs
between lastmodified time vs version. Are these times relative to the server
clock or client clock?

I recall with DFS, that the clock or time management was a huge part of the
design. I'm using a bunch of test boxes right now (in a production
environment, this might be less of a problem with well managed boxes), but
sometimes the boxes are off a little on the clocks as until I remember to
run NTP. Is there a big impact to glusterfs re-syncing if the clocks are
off?