[Gluster-devel] Relocating the namespace brick

Matt Paine matt at mattsoftware.com
Sun Jul 29 05:12:16 UTC 2007

> I did see the same problem even after remounting the client. I moved the
> namespace files back to the original location, and things worked again --
> evidently you can't just move the namespace files. The other thing I did was
> point the brick to a soft link. What is the correct procedure to move
> namespace files?

namespace is a simple cache only - you can saftely delete the namespace
contents and it will recreate itself automatically. I dont think you
should be worried about trying to move the namesace files, simply remove
it completely.

I have not tried this, but if you are removing a brick, but want to keep
all its files, this is the first thing i would try (remember I havn't
actually tried this yet, so any comments from anyone about the procedure
would be great....)

1) remove brick to decommission from the guster client spec files,
remount clients

2) remove all the files in the namespace

2) mount the decommissioned brick to another mount point on a client.

3) copy files from decommissioned client mount point, to the main
gluster mount. This should copy all the files using the gluster
allocation logic (afr/unify/etc).

4) unmount decommissioned mount point, say goodbye and have a
decommissioning ceremony, gracefully and sensitivly shutdown the poor
brick :/

5) mourn for 40 days and 40 nights.

6) get on with life :)

Not tested, but thats how I would attempt to do it (note, mourning
period may be give or take 40 days or so :p

Matt.