[Gluster-devel] GlusterFS Example

Nathan Allen Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Sat Jul 28 22:43:48 UTC 2007

http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_High_Availability_Storage_with_GlusterFS

If anyone hasthe time for a few questions:

1) In the past, my server configuration had only the local volume as in
http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_Configuration_Example_for_Four_Bricks
Your config looks like each server has its volume and all the others.

2) Why do you use loopback IP vs the public IP in the first example?

3) Can I change option replicate *:3 to *:2 to just have two copies? I
like having an extra copy, but in my application having 3 or 3 note or 4
for 4 node is a bit overkill.

4) In my application the server is also the client, in my current config
when one out of 3 servers is done I can no longer write, even tho I am
telling my config to write to the local brick. Is there any way to fix
this? If a note is down I understand how I would not have access to the
files, but I don't want to take down the full cluster.

P.S. Our setup consists of 3 servers each with a 4 port video card. They
continually capture video from the 4 inputs and save them in /share. Each
box also acts as a video server accepting connections and reading any file
in /share. I don't care much about redundancy, but I do care that /share
has files from all servers, or all servers that are up anyway.

My server.vol file, only change is the bind IP address.

volume brick
        type storage/posix
        option directory /md0
end-volume

volume server
        type protocol/server
        option transport-type tcp/server
        option listen-port 6996
        option bind-address 192.168.0.60
        subvolumes brick
        option auth.ip.brick.allow 192.168.0.*
end-volume

My client.vol file, the only change is option nufa.local-volume-name
client0 changes to client1 or client2 for each box. The above works as
long as all 3 servers are up, if one is down I can no longer read or write
to /share. I found that I could continue to write to /md0 on each server
and it still was replicated correctly, however if any server is down reads
on /share would break. : (

Any help would rock!

><>
Nathan Stratton                         CTO, Voila IP Communications
nathan at robotics.net                  nathan at voilaip.com
http://www.robotics.net                 http://www.voilaip.com